Thursday, July 13, 2006

Zizou's head-butt

I wonder, I really wonder.

Apparently, Zizou's (shortform for Zinedine Zidane) coach said that he understands Zizou's head-butt against his Italian opponent in the world-cup final France against Italy. It was just a few minutes left to the end of the game and Zizou would have been one of those guys needed for the upcoming penalty shootout. So he was send off.

France lost 5 : 3 in the end. If Zinedine Zidane would have been around, the mental health of his team would have been stronger and surely, the chances of him missing a penalty are slim.

He is highly paid, and he has a coach.

But what coach is he that he understands this action? I can understand a lot and a lot was going on in the final minutes of the game. Zidane was offended, and constantly insulted by his opponent. His pride was at stake, for sure and his mother, wife and sister badly insulted.

But in the end, he is responsible for the outcome he achieves. He choose to hit out.

In any thing that is happening, there is always a cause and an effect. A simple function of C/E. If you are feeling subjected to forces outside of you, that you blame are outside of your influence (government, sport, employer, client, school, you name it), you are at the effect side - the results of something. Something that you say you have no control over. What those "things" do to you is "making you sick", "they are unfair", "they treat you badly", "you gotta get back to them", and so on. Poor thing - you are living your life as a subject to something.

It is hard to do, but way more rewarding to say - I take responsibilty, I am 100% in charge of my life, I am designing my life, I change what I can change, I am not a blamer but will have the attitute, the strength and the integrity to do what I can do to make my life better.

Hey - simply, to make your life a WoW!

That means that while it might hurt badly to be insulted, to have your wife, kids, sister and mother getting insulted, not to go down to that low level, but walk proudly and strong and unaffected. Concentrating on what I want to achieve. In Zizou's case - he wanted to hold the World Cup in his hands. He should have focussed on that only and nothing else. Sure, it was hard, very hard, but then, isn't it even harder now?

So a coach shouldn't understand such behaviour, but get rid of it. Move his patient, player, whatever, to the Cause Side of things, and away of feeling exposed to circumstances that are away from your potential influence. To design the life and be powerful in times of adversity. Or, simply, to win the World Cup.

(NLP in Asia)












No comments: