Monday, April 17, 2006

Close encounters with death

Have you ever cheated death?

Death can come quickly - one second you are there and then, boom, something happens and you are gone.

While driving to work on Monday, and while stuck in the usual traffic jam, I wanted to switch lane. There was the gap, and I set the indicator and started to move out. Knowing Malaysia, all of these two actions - set the indicator and moving out of your lane - has to be done fast, since oftentime, the car next to you on the lane you want to move onto will try to cut you off.

What I didn't see was two motorcycles that speeded between the cars. I heard the honking, and stopped immediately to see the first motorcycle swerving around my car at extremely close range followed by the second. The second one turned around about 50 meters down the road. I don't know if the first one actually knew how close he was to death.

It was my mistake even so the two were driving way to fast for such kind of situations. My heart was beating fast and I felt adrenaline rushing through my body. I didn't move out of the lane for another 500 meters.

What I am wondering is - will something change for the guy on the motorcycle if he realised the close encounter?

Frequently, people change when they are in such situation, and mostly for the better. They start appreciating life much more and start to live much more purposefully. I hope it happens to him as well. That he realises that death can drop by any second of a day.

NLP in Asia









No comments: