Sunday, March 26, 2006

No shortcut to coaching

There was a recent article today in the New Straits Times (Malaysian newspaper) that contains some misconceptions about Neuro Linguistic Programming or NLP.

It says (and I have to write from the article, since I couldn't find the link in the NST):

"(...) Similarily (the article first talks about training and its disadvantage in coaching: my comment) there are also some neuro-linguistic programming (NLP) practitioners who also feel the same way about becoming automatic coaches too because of their knowledge in NLP.

Undoubtedly, coaching uses NLP, but as one of its many other tools. In other words, coaching is not the other name for NLP. Why? Coaching has a structured model and a coaching process that takes a client from start to finish. On the other hand, NLP is not structured on a continuum like coaching. To me, it is only a collection of tools that an NLP practitioner uses in various situations.

Besides NLP, coaching also uses tools like strategic planning, benchmarking, shadowing coaching, assessment tests etc.

Coaching is holistic so it needs a wide assortment of tools instead of one. This is also to substantiate why coaching is more powerful than many intervention methods."

There is a positive intention in the article of the writer. He surely has the best of his clients at heart.

But, he got the part on NLP totally wrong.

NLP is about helping coachees to identify the resources or strength, the solutions within them - this is inherit in the presupposition in NLP that "the map is not the territory". It means that every individual is different and only through precision questions (in NLP these are called Meta-Questions) can the map of the coachee be discovered.

NLP is about setting goals. In fact it is very much about finding out where one person or one business is in the moment or present and where he, she or the business wants to go. How to do coaching without this question? What is your goal is another important part of NLP. Without this, how do I know where my client wants to go?

It is here, where the continuum of NLP coaching comes in - the development of a plan for a client to move on from here to there and then to identify the possible interventions that exist in NLP and use those throughout the coaching process.

And this makes it clear that NLP is extremely useful in strategic planning, for benchmarking and, of course, shadow coaching. I also use assessment tools in my coaching program.

However, it is the power of NLP to also be helpful with short interventions - to help someone overcoming the Peter's Principle, create confidence in coachees, help them overcoming procrastination, depression, doubt, guilt or whatever.

So it is the power of NLP that helps with short term interventions and long term interventions. Short term interventions for those who simply want or need to overcome limiting beliefs (I cannot present, or, I never manage this interview, how to get motivated, confident, what is my career direction).

Long term interventions on how to move a company into the right direction - strategic planning, communication issues, promotions, motivation and empowerment or a CEO who needs a sounding board and to find the right direction (if I may say so!).

The challenge of a coach is to identify which is better - a short one or a long one.

I am not here to make money of my clients because they have better things to do after my intervention. They want to use their newly developed skills at the earliest! So naturally, I want to bring out all the resources of a client in the shortest time possible - and in a way that it lasts a lifetime.

Of course, I charge for my services - who wouldn't ? - but it is my goal to create satisfied and happy clients who find their purpose in life and business. The faster the better! If they get rid of me, they might even promote my service to their friends? And that is the best for a coach as well - referals.

(NLP in Asia)









No comments: