Monday, March 06, 2006

Fuel price increase and constant change

It sucks and of course it sucks. The fuel price went up by 30 Malaysian cents. It is argued that it is still cheap compared to other countries, in the region and across the world.

But does it really matter?

Imagine I am the taxi driver who is working 18-20 hours a day already to meet my needs and feed my family - does it really matter to me that my colleagues in Singapore have to pay more? I am not driving taxi there, I am here, it affects me here, in Malaysia.

Or the household that is struggling to send 1, 2, 3, or 4 kids to school by car. Does it really matter to them that the fuel price is cheaper here compared to the UK, or Germany? It affects me here to bring my children to school by car, since there is no public transport. I am not bringing them to school in the UK but if the price increase continues, I am also not able to send my children to university in the UK or even in Malaysia.

Change happens and sometimes it sucks. Suddenly, the ground on which we stand slips, is taken away. Gone is the comfort.

Just when we adjusted to the most recent price increase and could start speeding on the road again, letting engine run and run and run while waiting for someone somewhere. We will get used to this price increase as well, as usual.

Still, it sucks.

It sucks because we were not prepared, even so the government gave enough warning signals, and even so we knew that the oil price per barrel is damn high.

We always hope that the storm passes by and we stay unharmed. It happens elsewhere, not here, not with me.

Prices increase and they always hit us painfully and it won't stop.

We read it in the newspapers, we read it on blogs, or study it in the bookshops on newly released editions of management books - change is the only constant.

The environment is oftentimes the first to change and then we struggle to adjust to the changes. We are forced to adjust our behaviours because we have no other choice. It would have been easier to adjust our behaviour first - what about fuel saving, car pooling, or many other tips, like stopping to smoke - and then, it would have been so much easier to adjust to the environment.

But who is teaching us to adjust our behaviours? Or, even better, our capabilities, because it now is requred that we learn new capabilities to help us create new behaviours to cope with a new environment.

The government is trying to educate us, of course, but then, what we read in the papers is so far removed from us, that we are not concerned. Until it happens. And we have to live throught the pain. Until we adjust again - till the next price increase. It will come, I tell you. Don't fall back and be comfortable. Get ready now and adjust early.

Argh - it simply sucks, does it not?

(NLP in Asia)
(AlwaysWoW Sdn Bhd.)








No comments: