Sunday, October 09, 2005

Fasting - or the destruction of mental programs

It's Ramadan or fasting time in Malaysia, and across the Islamic world. Muslims are suppose to abstain from anything related to food, drinks, and "bad" thoughts from early in the morning till sunset. A long time for many. In addition, they are required to do good deeds to those around them and far away. A major task indeed.

Let me outline my thinking around this.

We are all running on mental programs. When you think you think and act consciously, think again. It is said that the moment you do more than one thing at a time, you run parts of it unconsciously. I would say that more than 90% of the time, we are running our own little mental programs.

Don't believe it?

Check, when you get up in the morning. With whom you go for lunch, diner, have your coffee. How you brush your teeth. When you stroke your hair, clean your teeth, have your cigarette, coffee, or chocolade. How you drive, how you react to your boss approaching your desk, when you watch TV and how and so on. Over time, you will see that there is repetition - you have created your own mental program.

Nothing wrong with that - it helps you to get through the day. To change, you need to change your program. And it is here where the fasting sets in.

I drink way too much coffee - about 6 big cups a day. Now I don't. Of course I miss it. Miss it dearly at 9.00 AM, 11.00 AM, after lunch, at 4.00 PM, at 5.30 PM and the ones in between, not accounted for.

Succeeding at fasting means changing my mental progam, initiating change, destroying and rewarding myself by being grateful that I am able to change. That, for me, is one of the essence of Ramadan as well.

(NLP in Asia)



No comments: