Thursday, May 25, 2006

The zone in public speaking

Guy Kawasaki expressed it pretty nicely in his fourth point of entry on "The Top Ten Lies" - public speaking.

He says that after commencing a speech, he is entering the zone. I agree. It is here where you are alone - but it is your stage. My stage. Here is the place to brand myself. Even to gain confidence for future challenges, because it is here were I can celebrate myself.

The time to be nervous is over. I enter the stage. Look at the audience, in anticipation. They look back at me, also in anticipation.

The first few words that are so crucial to me to enter the zone.

I am mostly starting with a story or a joke. This is my entry into the zone.

I am connecting with the individuals in the audience. Acknowledge them. Smile. Wait for a point to settle. Sometimes speaking too fast, because of my excitement of a point. Sometimes even too fast and then ending a presentation too fast as well. That is fine. I then actually don't want to leave the stage. This has become my place. I am looking forward to questions from the audience, challenge them to ask questions, because sometimes, there are none.

The zone is where my energy flow is strongest. When I can feel it zapping through me, being all around me. It is a great place to be.

(NLP in Asia)








No comments: