Saturday, November 05, 2005

Goals for your life

I recently had a discussion with my executives at work. I just started to work in a new company and to get to know my five guys, I had this personal discussion. During the discussion, I asked them about their goals. Professional or personal goals.

The response, to my greatest surprise (and sadness) was that they had no goals. What is right to them at the current moment - I cannot criticise this. What they are not aware of is that everybody has goals. Few, way too few, have consciously formulated goals. Only a few sat down and really wrote down what they want to achieve over the next 12 months, 3 years or in the next decade.

But it is clear that goals are out there. You are doing something every day. You have the goal to fix your breakfast, for example. A small goal, but it is a goal. How often to you use the words "It is my goal to ...." or, easier, "I want to have a good time tonight!" See what I mean?

Othertimes, other people "push you" into their goal - then, you become their pawn. "Come, let's go out and have a good time tonight," or, "Come on, let's get drunk tonight." Sounds familiar? A company is doing goal formulation (now is budget time), and they plan for you! You will wonder what they are planning, but 12 months down the road, you will know. You have been a pawn, because, where is your initiative?

Whatever happens is out there. Please be aware that your subconscious mind needs goals, needs someone to show it the direction it needs. If you don't have goals and just live in the day, it will find its own ways to get around. It is like the bull that is taking charge. And, then, one day, in the future, don't wonder when you look back and wonder, where the lsat 10 years or months have gone to. And don't wonder, if you should have changed something. Earlier.

(NLP in Asia)



No comments: