Thursday, April 30, 2009

Integrity and overpromising in a competitive environment

So the economy is down. Companies postpone, or reschedule training. Individuals choose more carefully before they sign up with a course. Especially a course that seems more expensive.

I mean, look, Asia Mind Dynamics is more expensive than others. Especially, when you look at the total price and overlook that our training days are longer - 10 days or more. And while we mostly start at 9.00 AM (I said mostly!!)we hardly ever finish before 6.00 PM. Sometimes we trained until 9.00 PM, but then, this depends on the intensity of the questions asked by the participants - and I am open to it. We are also more expensive because we provide more knowledge, more extensive and intensive exercises and don't forget all the after-training support provided.

Sure case - quality costs something and value comes with a price, right?

Call me arrogant (I don't think I am not, actually!) but we also value high quality participants. Those that really go the extra mile for change. Interestingly, we most of the time manage to just get those that we want. We have a secret "weapon" to understand the participants and know their thinking structure. Okay, sometimes we fail and sometimes we get it partially right, but well..... We value high quality participants because this allows all participants to grow together. Work together, bond and share most intensively!

We could overpromise on benefits and outcomes of the course to get a higher number of participants. You probably know that when you know NLP you really can achieve a lot in your life. Change habits, behaviours, beliefs, and values in a short time. It really helps to identify and overcome limitations and handicaps to design something magnificent and worth living. It is the fastest way to change, way beyond any traditional change approach.

So yes, we could overpromise to get more sign-ups. People would come. Expectations are higher. Hopes are raised.

But then, what would happen? If we promise heaven and earth to our participants and all they would get is hell? They would spend their hard earned cash and then, they would be bitterly disappointed.

In fact, we would tarnish our reputation. There is this old saying, that bad news travels fast, and today, in Internet time,bad news travels at the speed of light.

I tell corporate clients that ask me if I can conduct a so-and-so type of training, if I can deliver or not. If I can, I am happy. If I can't, I tell them I can't. I refer them out. Sure thing, because in the end, I am only as good as my last training.

Similar with individuals that join our public training. I could tell anything, and hey - it would be true. Wouldn't it? Because I changed my life a lot since I started NLP in 2004. But did I change so totally it in just 10 days? No, of course not. I set the course differently, I learned a lot of skills and methodologies and let go of a lot of negative stuff. But there was more and I kept going. Learned more, entrenched myself in NLP, and all the related stuff, such as NLP Coaching, Hypnosis of different kinds, Timeline Therapy(TM) Techniques, Silva Mind and all. It is a journey into the mind and still ongoing.

I am not overpromising. I recently heard from someone that Company X offers so much more than we. Company X is a competitor of sort. Their ads in The Star are not developed or checked by the trainer but by their staff. A long list of possible achievements. In a way shorter course. I wouldn't tell anything bad about them, even so I know their trainer, and the staff. Because it would not reflect good on me.

I feel sad when I hear people signing up for the courses. I am in a dilemma. Shall I tell stories and experiences or not? I don't. Everybody needs to do their own experiences.

Another way is to tell stories about the competition. Sure, times are hard for many, and many just tell stories. Stories that don't reflect too good on the competition.

Why do I tell this story?

Because I recently heard stories that they told stories about Asia Mind Dynamics. More than once already, really.

It was in the beginning of Asia Mind Dynamics, that someone asked Company X about us. They were saying that we are still new, inexperienced, would not know NLP and that they should come to Company X. Is this the truth? Well, yes, it was true. We were new in the market but not inexperienced.

Yesterday, another participant mentioned inquired with them and compared their course,which is different, with ours. Company X told them that we would also join their class. How can? I am already a trainer in all they offer. Sure, I still upgrade my skills because I learn. But sorry only in courses that enhance my skills.

Why did I write this article now?

Overpromising doesn't work. Because it will come back to haunt you. Someone realises it, mismatched expectations and the rumour mill starts. I hear enough complaints about bad NLP trainings - I don't want to hear it, because of my next point. I acknowledge the complain, and search for the best intention in the complainer. Or in the training company.

Badmouthing the competition only reflects on the one who badmouthes. Imagine someone who badmouthes about someone. Do you trust this person? I don't. Because I never know if the person does not badmouth about me as well, once I am no longer around.

What I want you to know is the one thing. Bad mouthing or backstapping is related to values and beliefs, or may be even higher, to the identity of person or company.

What do they value or belief and how do they try to achieve it? Where are their boundaries to getting business in? Values, just like beliefs, are not always positive. There are negative values, only that no one really admits it it. It is not in, or too frightening. But their language and their behaviour expresses their true state of mind.

Longterm, it probably hurts their body.





______________________________________________________________________________________
Public Programmes: Asia Mind Dynamics organises new courses for those interested to become NLP Practitioners, NLP Coaches, Hypnotists or those that want to simply improve their influence and communication skills

For more information, follow these links:

To learn Certified NLP Practitioner and Certified Timeline Therapy™ Techniques Training, click here.

To learn more about our Advanced Coaching Programme, click here

To learn more about the Language and Behaviour Profile (LAB Profile) - Words That Change Minds Certification, click here

To register for any of these courses, click here.


To learn more about Asia Mind Dynamics, click here

For companies, interested to know more about in-houses courses, click here.

No comments: