Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Walking speed and energy

We all have different energy levels. Which I think is fascinating to observe. Where I get a headache, so, is in shopping malls, when I am on the roll and need to go somewhere quickly. At this point of time, there is always someone in front of me, coming from the side, etc, and moves slow. Slenders. Blocks the way, not purposely, of course.

But heck, it bugs me, lol.

Since my mum is on visit, I realised something else. She is a busy bee, and quite in a rush - I probably inherited my speedy movement and time consciousness from her. Then, when we move around in a shopping mall, there is the Malaysian speed - allow me to call it that way. It is a slower speed, more adjusted to the environment. Hey - how fast can you go in a mall, and for how long can you go fast, even if you intend to walk fast. The end, the next wall, is closing in soon. :)

So, sure, Malaysians walk slower, since they have adjusted to a limited and less spacious environment. Sure, you can walk plenty of floors in Times Square, longer distances in 1U or up and down in Megamall - but still, these are malls, and how often can you walk from one end to the next?

In contrast, in Europe, people walk much more. And there are not that many cars that can drive to the city or shopping areas, because firstly, parking houses are really expensive, and parking, overall is limited. So Europeans tend to rush - they have to overcome longer distances and have more places to walk. They are not limited in the extend that they can walk. So may be here is the impact that a limited space has on the speed of walk. My conclusion, so may be not conclusive :)

What say you?

And still, it bugs me when I am in a rush!!

(NLP in Asia)









No comments: