Thursday, December 29, 2005

Feeling uncomfortable

I realised this recently. If there is stress in my workplace - either too many e-mails demanding my attention immediately, my client constantly checking for report delivery, my boss coming in to ask something deemed important.

When is this happening? Mostly on Monday's - when there are an accummulated 300 new emails in my inbox when I arrive in the office at 8.00 AM. That is a lot, it feels like a huge tidal wave. On a normal day, there are "only" about 70 new e-mails in the in-box in the morning. And they keep coming in.

Usually, the only break without new e-mails is from about 12.00 noon to about 3.00 PM, when the flood of e-mails returns.

What is happening is that there is this growing feeling of discomfort in me.
Somewhere inside my stomach. It causes my work gringe to a hold. I want to run away, and most of the time, I do this by making a coffee. One more coffee on top of the many that I drink anyway, but this is a different story.

To give the feeling a name, you can call it panic, stress, distress and I believe that many of my readers are aware of this.

After the coffee has been done, the world comes back to normal and I work the work, run the treadmill, respond, write and be cool.

Recently, I was in this Indian foodstall close to The Curve. The place was packed with patrons, but the stall was undermanned. Shouts from everywhere for drinks, food, cleaning the table etc.

Some of the waiters working there looked stressed and acted stressful. No place to run there. Others were cool, just working the tables.

I saw the similarities - between them and me and realised that things don't change.
Wherever you are, whatever you do - there are situations that causes a feeling of discomfort, make your feel uncomfortable. Be it a waiter in a restaurant who is called on many duties at once, or the knowledge worker (yours Truly), whose attention is demanding from many different sources at once as well.

That is when I realised something.

I realised that every time our world is stretched, change is ongoing, we are growing into zones that are new to us, we are feeling this feeling. It is a scream to a world of "normality".
That easy. Something is pullinng you back to your own zone, the one you know, you can handle, no stress.

That was a great realisation because now, with this new learning, I can enjoy the stress better. And every time I feel stressed, and this feeling of discomfort comes, I know that my world is expanding, I am learning, I am growing mentally. In fact, it makes me feel alive.
Isn't this what counts?

And off I go, since I have to finish this report today, otherwise, my client is very angry, very worried, very stressed. What could be his learning?

(NLP in Asia)



No comments: