Sunday, February 05, 2006

Bald heads and a positive attitude

Interesting statement from Selangor police chief Datuk Yahaya Udin, who commented about the head shaving of the 11 arrested men:

"We cut their hair as short as possible and sporting short hair reflects positive image."

Before, I was worried that I am getting bald only. Now I have the hope that I at least now, I am attaining a positive attitude naturally.

But seriously, I don't see the connection between short hair and positive image. What has one to do with the other? Is this clear as a statement to anyone? For those of you experienced in NLP, this is a clear violation of the Meta-Model. How language is put together to form a statement - and in doing so, expresses a belief system.

NLPler could ask: "Have you ever seen someone with long hair and a positive attitude?" Or, "Is it possible to have short hair and still have a bad attitude?"

Basically - to identify the deeper structures of the belief behind the earlier sentence. But, and this is interesting, when you go around listening to other people (which people?), it is easy to see that there are many, many statements around us that express similar beliefs.

Just thinking of my parents and what they liked to tell me: "If you listen to music that loud, it is clear that you become deaf soon." Got it?

(NLP in Asia)






No comments: